Information To Think Over
- Are you obese ?
- Have you have tried every diet imaginable ?
- Are you tired of losing and gaining weight back ?
- Do you sometimes feel like a total failure ?
- Are you afraid that obesity may be killing you ?
- Is obesity responsible for a diagnosis of hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, back pain or some other medical condition ?
- Do you feel depressed about your weight ?
- Do you wish to live a long life and feel happy and healthy ?
You are about to make a life changing decision about having surgery to cure your obesity. It is important to determine which type of surgery may be right for you. At this point you need to ask yourself “what do you expect from bariatric surgery?”. The following statements are the most common responses to this question.
- To lose as much excessive weight as possible so that weight and BMI are normal or at a level that is nearly normal.
- Chance of gaining weight in the future is minimal.
- Life style and foods, which are basically normal.
- Short and long term side effects are minimal or easy to control.
- Evolution of the surgery with a decreasing possibility of problems.
- Surgical adjustment if necessary, is possible and relatively simple.
- Predictability for adjustments if deemed necessary.
- A procedure with a history of being performed for many years.
- Type of procedure that has been mastered over many years and has been proven and is reliable.
Before making any decision it is highly recommended that you attend the support group meetings. There you will find educational information from the surgeon and numerous guest speakers as well as helpful information from many patients.