Surgical procedures currently being performed for morbid obesity in my office:
- Duodenal Switch
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- from Roux- en -Y Gastric Bypass to Duodenal Switch
- from Lap-Band to Duodenal Switch
- and adjustments of failed Duodenal Switch surgery
There are three different types of Bariatric surgery.
- Restrictive – different types of stomach banding or stapling procedures
- Malabsorptive – ileo-jejunal bypass
- Restrictive/Malabsorptive – gastric bypass (open or laparoscopic) – mostly restrictive procedure
- GRDS or LGRDS or DS – primarily a malabsorptive procedure with a restrictive component involving a partial gastric/stomach resection
The restrictive component modifies the stomach into a 3-4oz. (approximately 80cc) pouch reducing food intake. The malabsorptive component bypasses part of the small bowel (approximately 60%) causing a decrease in food absorption.